Click the photo to jump straight to the recipe. I first tried chicken enchiladas because of a Hungry Girl recipe. I find it challenging to work veggies into my Mexican meals sometimes, so I wanted to spruce this one up. This recipe uses mostly packaged ingredients which makes it quick and easy to throw together. I am making my own shredded mexican chicken today that I will use next time I make this!
I was excited to find the Extreme Wellness low carb tortillas because it is usually so hard to find tortillas that are not tons of calories. I recruited my hubby to chop up the peppers for me while I worked on getting everything else together.
First, drain the canned chicken and weigh it out into a bowl. Add the diced peppers, 1/2 cup enchilada sauce, and 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Mix it all together.
Evenly distribute the mixture between the 4 tortilla shells and roll up. I struggle with the rolling part, but I am getting better. I rolled two of them with the ends tucked and and two of them without the ends tucked in just to experiment. When the ends are not tucked in, the filling can come out easier, but they also look bigger which is more visually appealing. Do what you like best!
Put the enchiladas in a baking dish, seam side down. Top each enchilada with 1 Tbsp of enchilada sauce and bake at 400 for about 10 minutes.
While the enchiladas are baking, weigh out another serving of shredded cheese (1/4 cup or 28 grams).
Distribute the cheese evenly over the top of the four enchiladas. Bake until cheese melts, about another 2 minutes.
Once the cheese is melted, top each enchilada with 1 Tbsp sour cream and serve! Each serving is 2 enchiladas and they were VERY filling! The peppers were still a bit crunchy, which I liked. If you prefer your peppers to be softer, you could steam or saute them before adding them to the mixture.
The printable recipe is below. You can also download my calculation spreadsheet if you want to tweak the nutrition stats for the brands you use. My intention was to serve these with a side salad with the Salsa Ranch dressing, but I was rushed and didn’t do it. Thankfully the enchiladas were filling enough that I didn’t miss the salad.
Chicken Pepper Enchiladas
- 4 to rtillas - Extreme Wellness High Fiber Low Carb
- 4 oz shredded chicken canned or fresh
- 3/4 cup enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup 2% shredded Mexican cheese
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup diced bell peppers
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 glass baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Mix together the chicken, diced peppers, 1/2 cup enchilada sauce, & 1/4 cup shredded cheese.
- Distribute the chicken mixture evenly between the 4 soft taco shells.
- Roll the enchiladas and place them in the baking dish, seam side down.
- Spoon enchilada sauce over the enchiladas, about 1 Tbsp per enchilada (1/4 cup total).
- Bake uncovered until hot, about 10 minutes.
- Distribute 1/4 cup shredded cheese even over enchiladas & bake until cheese melts, about 2 minutes.
- Cool & top with sour cream, 1 Tbsp per enchilada.