I am always looking for new breakfast options that I can make ahead and just re-heat in the morning at work. I have been craving some spinach feta action, so I decided to experiment with new egg muffins. After making them a few times, I’m pretty pleased with the result – especially because they are only 52 calories and 1 points+ each!!
I typically have 3 at a time, sometimes with canadian bacon on the side. I also typically have tomatoes and blackberries with my egg breakfasts. It’s a habit I picked up from the Hungry Girl Diet, and I’ve stuck with it even though I’m not actually following that diet. It helps bulk up the meal and it gives me healthy lycopene from the tomatoes and tons of fiber from the berries!
I used my food chopper for the spinach to save time, but of course you could chop the spinach by hand if you are a ninja with a knife. My knife skills are improving, but I’m still still not the best!
The ingredients listed in the recipe are the total ingredients you need for a full pan (12 muffins). I’ve included instructions on how to load each muffin tin individually. Of course you could mix everything together and then divide it into the muffin tins. I just prefer layering them individually because I want to make sure I get lots of feta in every bite!! 🙂
Spinach Feta Egg Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups chopped spinach
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled fat-free feta cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp basil
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 3 cups liquid egg substitute or egg whites
- Chop up the spinach (with a knife or a food chopper).
- Add 2 Tablespoons chopped spinach to each muffin tin.
- Add 14g fat-free feta to each muffin tin (on top of spinach).
- Sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon basil evenly over the feta.
- Sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon oregano evenly over the feta.
- Pour 1/4 cup egg substitute into each muffin tin.
- Stir gently to distribute the seasonings.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.