They say necessity is the mother of all invention, right? That was definitely the case for me last night! We were both exhausted from babysitting our twin nieces Friday and Saturday, so we didn’t even leave the house Sunday! I needed to go to the grocery store, but just couldn’t get myself motivated to do it!
My hubby decided he wanted to eat left over pizza. I didn’t really have the points budget for that on Sunday, so I planned to make myself something else. I had 2 or 3 ideas of what to make and each idea was missing an ingredient or involved something that would need defrosted. I wanted something quick and easy that was healthy but also wouldn’t make me feel deprived while Jim was eating pizza.
The only fresh veggies I had on hand were carrots and zucchini and I was at a loss for what to do. I started thinking about making zucchini pasta with my Veggetti, but I just wasn’t really in the mood for that. That idea made me think about tomato sauce with zucchini which led me to the brainstorm of using zucchini for my pizza crust!!!
The full recipe is at the bottom of the post, but here are the step by step photos from start to finish.
I ended up with 20 pieces!!! I would rather have 20 small pieces than 1 large piece any day! The pizza sauce I used was already made and in the freezer, so I just defrosted that in the microwave while the zucchini was baking. (The sauce is a Hungry Girl recipe that I originally found in a recipe for pizza egg rolls. I loved that it was basic and low calorie, so I made some up to use for future pizza recipes!) I also sliced up my sausage and weighed out my cheese during this time.
Of course you can use your favorite toppings, but I had to work with what I had on hand since I was NOT going to the grocery store that day! I am excited to experiment with other toppings too!
For the Zucchini
- 1 Zucchini
- Dash Italian Seasoning
- 2 patties turkey sausage precooked
- 1/4 cup 2% Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese blend
For the Sauce
- 1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
For the Zucchini
- Spray a baking sheet lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- Slice zucchini into rounds and lay the pieces flat on the baking sheet.
- Lightly mist the zucchini slices with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle zucchini with Italian seasoning.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- While the zucchini is baking, prepare your sauce and measure your toppings.
- Flip zucchini over and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Divide sauce, sausage, and cheese evenly on top of the zucchini pieces.
- Bake another 2-3 minutes until cheese starts to melt.
- Place under broiler for 2-3 minutes to crisp up the cheese.
For the Sauce
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine tomatoes, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.
- Mix well.
- Microwave until hot, about 30 seconds.
Points+ value was calculated without the zucchini, crushed tomatoes, and seasonings, since these items are 0 points+. Full nutrition stats include vegetables and seasonings.